Monday 13 July 2015

You and Eye Blog Debut: Alhaji Aliko Dangote - I am up for sale. Before you buy Arsenal, buy me.


   “Is your full name Anthony or Antonio?” I asked my struggling Italian friend. “Neither,” Tony replied and went on to explain how he got the name. “I was christened Sergio. My father died when I was 9yrs old leaving nothing for the family. My mother, with no income of her own, had the arduous task of looking after me and my four siblings, all below the age of 12. We had to fend for ourselves doing odd jobs and living from hand to mouth. There were days we went without a single meal. 

    “Having heard several stories of how Italians were making it real big in US my mother hatched a plan for me to stow away to New York. But there was one major challenge. I could not speak a word of English. My mother solved the problem by writing TO-NY with an indelible felt pen on my forehead. When I asked her what she had written, she said, “I have written your destination, ‘To NY.’ If anyone asks you any question, just point at your forehead.” I did exactly that. To my amazement everyone started calling me Tony. I have been stuck with it since then. ” 

    Tony is now a billionaire and as we say in common parlance, “level has changed.” I doubt if he would remember my name or recollect having had such an animated discussion with me. But he set me thinking about your name and its origin. Unlike Tony, my research shows you were born into a wealthy family. You have not, however, rested on your oars but worked hard to build a bigger empire than you met it. That is why you have achieved the unique position of the richest man in Africa and the 67th wealthiest man in the world.  Tony is yet to make the Forbes Magazine’s list! I also found out that Dangote was initially the nickname of your father, Aliko Muhammad, aka Aliko Gote. The word “Dan” is used by the Hausa man to associate one thing with another, be it person, place, trade or activity. So a wild guess would suggest your name as Dan, son of the great Gote.

    You share one thing in common with Tony – a passion for football. This letter is also for Tony. I can’t reach him but if and when you run into him in your circle, kindly pass this message to him.
    There are two types of balls. One is a round leather ball called football. The game evokes such interest and passion that nations have gone to war and people have been killed on account of it. The other type of ball is round and natural. It is called the eyeball. You must cultivate interest and become passionate about it because without your two eyeballs you cannot read this letter; your work would suffer and your world would change. 

    Sadly, according to estimates from the World Health Organization there are about 285 million people worldwide whose eyeballs are not functioning properly. They can neither play football nor enjoy watching it on the television because they are blind or visually impaired. About 4million of these are Nigerians! In about 60 to 80%, the blindness is either preventable or can be reversed by simple intervention. Unfortunately the available centres are few and far between, not accessible and the cost of services unaffordable for many. 

    I read in the dailies recently that you broached the idea of buying Arsenal Football Club. Tony had a similar idea several years ago. I don’t know why he gave up. We all have desires and like feelings, they could be overpowering. But I also read where you stated, "Let me tell you this and I want to really emphasize it...nothing is going to help Nigeria like Nigerians bringing back their money. If you give me $5 billion today, I will invest everything here in Nigeria. Let us put our heads together and work." That is precisely why I am writing this letter to you. I am up for sale. Before you buy Arsenal buy me! 

    But I am no use to you. As an astute business man, you know I wouldn’t be a good buy! So instead, I am making an offer of something more rewarding – enlisting you as a partner for sight. Partnership for Sight Initiative of Nigeria (PASSION) needs patriotic, progressive, outstanding, persuasive, intelligent, influential and devoted citizens to work with us to improve the quality of our society and eliminate avoidable blindness. Joining the group is free and there are no hidden financial obligations. There will also be very little demand on your precious time and no formal meetings. You will however be expected to make a personal commitment (binding in honour only) that you will not inadvertently contribute to the millions of the blind and visually impaired in our society by ensuring that you have an eye examination once a year and encouraging all members of your family and friends to do the same.

    I see a smile on your face and I can hear you say, “The ‘eyes’ have it.”  Thanks.


4 comments:

  1. Nice write-up sir. How do we join the PASSION? By the way I'm up for sale too danGOTE :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent piece.Well done Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Patrick. The first step to take towards becoming a member of PASSION is for you to personally have an eye examination including a glaucoma test.. I am sure you've not had one in two years! The second step is to insist that all around you - close friends, brothers, sisters, parents and close relatives - undergo eye examination as well.. And thereafter once a year.
    Once you have fulfilled these simple conditions, you are already a member of PASSION. You then have the task of spreading the message which is passed on to you weekly IN THIS BLOG FOR THE TIME BEING AND LATER IN THE SPECIAL BLOG FOR THIS PURPOSE. Simple! Isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it is sir. Will do. Thank you sir

    ReplyDelete